National External Diploma ProgramⓇ
Naugatuck Adult Education offers the National External Diploma Program (NEDP®). This option has students earning their high school diploma independently through the successful completion of a series of online assignments which demonstrate mastery of life skill competencies, as well as an additional demonstration of an individualized competency (occupational, vocational, or specialized skill). Upon successful completion of these competencies, the student is awarded a high school diploma through the Naugatuck Board of Education.
The National External Diploma Program (NEDP®) is an applied performance assessment system that assesses the high school level skills of adults and out-of-school youth. The NEDP® evaluates the reading, writing, math and workforce readiness skills of participants in life and work contexts.
- Assesses high school level skills awarding a traditional diploma so graduates can meet their academic and career goals.
- Designed for self-directed youth and adults with life and work experiences and a general familiarity with the computer.
- Offers flexible scheduling and confidentiality.
- Evaluates competencies in ten content areas including Financial Literacy, Health Literacy, Civic Literacy, Geography, History, Science, and Twenty-First Century Workplace.
- Evaluates competencies that are based on skills outlined in the Common Core College and Career Readiness standards.
Depending on your skill level at enrollment, and how many reviews of basic skills are needed, most students complete the program in six to nine months.
When all work is completed with 100% accuracy, your portfolio is reviewed by an assessor for verification. Each student must meet with an advisor weekly for a minimum of two hours to demonstrate your mastery of certain competencies through the completion of assignments.
Both daytime and evening hours are offered for this program. For more information, please contact us at (203)-720-5282.
National External Diploma ProgramⓇ Registration
Location: Naugatuck High School Adult Education Office Rm N 144 (across from the cafeteria).
Registration takes place in the fall (late August and early September) and winter (November, January and February). Please check our calendar for dates.
Please call the office at 203-720-5282 if you wish to register after these dates.